Thursday, February 23, 2006

Physical Food, Spiritual Mood

Can our spiritual strength hinge on something as simple as what we eat or drink, or our physical strength lie in something as trite as not cutting our hair like Sampson? Shadrack, Meshack and Abendigo actually grew stronger not eating the king's food.

I have discovered over the last year that I am allergic to milk, which is really irritating for me. I love milk. Ice cream, fettuchinni alfredo, chocolate, milk and cookies, cereal and milk, I could go on. Many of my favorite foods are just not the same without a glass of milk to wash them down. I am discovering that the allergy potentially does not stop there.

Evidentally, many of the things that I crave are potentially allergens. Ironic isn't it. I have always known better than to bring home ice cream from the grocery store or to bake sweets, or to ever taste my childrens snack foods or cereals. There is a really good reason. I crave these foods, just one taste, and I become obsessed with them and cannot stop eating them until they are gone.

It doesn't stop there however. When I have eaten any of those foods, hours later, I feel awful. I am depressed, grouchy, tired, and for the first time in my life, I know why. Apparentally that is how food allergies often manifest themselves, as cravings. Cravings with side effects.

You don't hear me saying that I lay away at night dreaming of granola, fresh fruits, vegitables, water, no, I crave those things which by their very nature have no value to my body, or mind. Reminds me of sin, no value, only pain as a reward, why do we do it? EXTREMELY TEMPORARY SATISFACTION !!!

A friend gave me this verse from 3John2 "Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in all things and be in health, just as your soul prospers."

2 comments:

jenny biz said...

I am with you! I think a lot of the "physical" habits we indulge in have a lot to do with our relationship with God. I fail at this miserably!! Thanks again for the challenging thought:)

Unknown said...

I'm pretty sure my food allergy has manifested itself in 20 extra pounds! Thanks for your comparison to the short-lived reward of sin.